Erie Village History
In the beginning…
In the 1920’s Leonard Oot was farming 65 acres off East Avenue in Minoa near Limestone Creek. Farming wasn’t his first
love, so he dabbled in plumbing, masonry, logging and even a bakery. However, in 1932, Mr. Oot changed the course of his life with
“the birth of their business.” His sons, Earl and Leo, helped him build his first house on North Manlius Road.
Two more sons, Robert and Donald, later joined them and formed Oot Brothers, Inc.
Fifty years later…
On January 13th, 1982, Earl Oot presented to the Town of Manlius Board his vision for homes grouped along the Erie Lakes shorelines. Recreational uses such as swimming and boating were also a part of this $50 million project. In 1983 the Oot Brothers broke ground for his 490-unit project, with a plan to build 40 to 50 units annually.
In 2005, Oot Bros., Inc. donated and planted five pine trees in the memory of the five brothers: Earl, Leo, Donald, Bob and Ronald:
In Memory of photos
EV Flag Pole…
The original flag pole was set in place following 9-11 and was primarily funded with generous donations from our residents. The 9-11 memorial stone was donated by former residents Bill & Kathy Kurtz. The trees were planted in memory of the Oot brothers who developed Erie Village. Barb Whitney and her group of volunteers have enhanced the area with beautiful flower plantings.
In 2007 Syd Tenenbaum donated a bench at the flagpole site. Syd made this gift to the Vil- lage in memory of his Dad who was extremely patriotic and had a very high regard for our flag. The bench is in place for those wishing to sit and reflect.
Relive our history through the following articles and photos:
January 20, 1982 New Homes Article
February 16, 1983 Rezoning Article
May 4, 1983 Oot Brothers 50-Years of Building Article
August 19, 1983 Housing Development Article
A conversation with Earl L. Oot, circa 1983 by Tom Oot:
In My Father’s Words